Announcing a new me

Hi. My name is Emily. No I’ve not taken over this blog for the day. I’m still the same author but a while ago I came to realize I’m a woman so my old name didn’t fit any more. Don’t panic I’m still doing mostly the same things as before. Just with less background noise in my head so things are a lot better. Family, friends, and colleagues reading this Waves. »

Golang Resparse

A little while ago I found my self needing to be able to parse screen resolutions when generating some images in a golang program. I created a library to do this and had a bit of fun optimising it. The result is open source on github. It is a very simple library with a single function but I thought it might be interesting to walk you through the process. »

Windows Subsystem for Linux Dot files

I’ve been using the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) for a while at work. It’s been something of a radical improvement over cygwin for most of my use cases. A couple of weeks ago my installation got borked by the work Antivirus (AV) system. So I’ve created an automated script to set up my environment just how I currently like it. Before we start lets get one thing out the way. »

Finding flatroofs with QGIS

A little while ago I attended the Climathon kic event/hackathon in Bristol at my old university. The event was to come up with solutions that could help with pollution in the city. There were not a lot of people who turned up so we formed a single team. The idea we came up with was to create an incentive for people with flat roofs to put plants on them. This meant we needed to be able to find flat roofs in the city. »

Spark and the Minor Planet Center data part 3

In the last post we read the minor planet center observation file. This was a fixed width text file. We only pulled a couple of columns out of it, but we learnt to use User Defined Functions, groupBy and select. In the first post of this series we covered reading a json file which contained information about all the asteroids we know about. This time we are going to join the two data sets together and finally solve our original problem, which was to find the full date of the earliest observation of each un-numbered object. »